Tuesday 19 March 2013

tasty tuesday: salted caramel pretzel cookies


Are you ready for a recipe that will change your life?
I think I made these cookies about 3 times the very first week I discovered/created this recipe!


The pretzels are what really make these cookies special.  
The salty sweet combination of pretzels and chocolate makes me want to do the happy dance!
Throw in some toffee bits, and I am 100% sold.

So you may be saying "But Jordyn, pretzels in my cookies?  I thought pretzels were just for munching on while drinking beer, or even better, diet Dr. Pepper!"
(Was anyone else thinking that, or just me?  I'm pretty sure Dr. Pepper and pretzels is the superior pretzel/carbonated beverage combo!)

If you are a little hesitant to put pretzels in your cookies, you are not alone.  But I must ask you to trust me on this one.  I promise you will not be sorry.



Salted Caramel Pretzel Cookies

inspired by this recipe on Sugar Cooking

Ingredients:


1/2 cup of butter at room temperature
1/2 cup of tightly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/4 tsp. of baking soda
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips*
1/2 cup SKOR toffee bits
1/2 cup broken up pretzel piece (plus extra for the top)
Preztel Salt or Sea Salt

*you may be able to tell that in the photos I used regular sized chocolate chip, and I used a whole cup.  I found that this made the cookies have trouble sticking together, there were too many goodies, and not enough dough.  So the next time I made them I substituted the whole cup of chocolate chips for 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips, it worked like a charm!


Directions:

1) In a large bowl, mix together the butter and both sugars.
2) Add in your eggs and vanilla, and mix until nice and fluffy.
3) Mix in the salt and baking soda.
4) Add in the flour.
5) Stir in the chocolate chips, toffee bits, and pretzels
6) Scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet (using a silpat on your cookie sheet is best!).
7) Press more pretzel pieces onto the tops of your cookies if you so desire.
8) Sprinkle pretzel salt or grind sea salt on top of the cookies as well.
9) Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.


Toffee bits always make an awesome addition to chocolate chip cookies.  There is just something about the way they caramelize that adds something special.
In this case the combination of toffee, chocolate, and pretzel create a little piece of cookie heaven!




Adding extra pieces of pretzels on top of the cookie really lets your taste tester (cough cough, or you know, you) know what they are getting into.  It screams "I'm a pretzel cookies, and you should probably eat the heck out of me!!!"
  It is the perfect way to complete these cookies, and guarantees that everybody will get a piece of crunchy pretzel in their cookie!


Please, if you like the salty/sweet combination you MUST try these cookies.  Everyone around you will thank you.  They are definitely my new go to cookie recipe.  I even have friends from school requesting them before class!

Also big thanks to Kelsey who took all these amazing photos!!

p.s. ♥ jordyn

11 comments:

  1. oh my goodness.
    these look fantastic!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, can't wait to try these! Sweet and salty is the best!!
    -- Pat (at the end of the road)

    ReplyDelete
  3. want one sooo badly! these look incredible!! :) & I adore the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious! We will have to try out this recipe! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) You should try it out as soon as possible!

      Delete
  5. Okay, I need to make these immediately! So delicious!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing!!
    I made them when I first found the recipe and everyone went crazy over them. The cookies were gone in the first hour. Now I'm tripling the recipe to take for a camping trip. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha aren't they addicting? They never last long in our house either :)
      Have fun camping!

      Delete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...